Reading List Update
A long time ago I brought up the matter of reading Computer Science books to backfill my education on the matter. My formal education is in Physics and Math, so the thought of reading academic works was actually quite appealing to me.
While I haven’t really blogged about it, I’ve been quietly working my way through some great books.
- The Art of Computer Programming Volumes 1 & 2 - Donald Knuth
- The Algorithm Design Manual - Skiena
- The Little Schemer - Daniel Friedman
- Compilers - Alfred Aho
- Refactoring - Martin Fowler
- SICP - Harold Abelson
- Learn you a Haskell for Great Good! - Miran Lipovaca
- Land of Lisp - Conrad Barski
- Smalltalk Best Practices - Kent Beck
- The New Turing Omnibus - A. K. Dewdney (reading now!)
- The Elegant Universe - Brian Greene
- The Grand Design - Stephen Hawking
- Cosmos - Carl Sagan
- Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
- Dune - Frank Herbert
- Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
- Eon - Greg Bear
- Foundation Trilogy - Isaac Asimov
And of course, some other random books (including practical programming stuff) along the way unrelated to these topics. Honestly, I was hoping to make it through more, but life has been very full with other things, so I’m not too bothered.
I hope to write some reviews of the above, and to incorporate that into my routine for future books…like The New Turing Omnibus which is awesome by the way.